Start Learning Norwegian in the next 30 Seconds with
a Free Lifetime Account

Or sign up using Facebook

Øverlien name

joverlien_1993
New in Town

Øverlien name

Postby joverlien_1993 » May 11th, 2017 4:44 am

There is an Øverlien farm in Norway where my last name comes from. Why is there no translation of øver? It's not just the dictionary on this site. There is a translation of over, which means the same in English. If øver means the same thing, why is it spelled with an ø vs an o? It completely changes the pronunciation.

team.relationships
New in Town

Re: Øverlien name

Postby team.relationships » May 16th, 2017 8:23 am

Hei joverlien,

Øver and over have the same meaning, øver is simply an old, and local, way of saying over. There are many, many examples of names in Norwegian with the same circumstances.

Please let us know if we can help you again!

Regards,

Patrick
Team NorwegianClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
joverlien_1993
New in Town

Postby joverlien_1993 » May 16th, 2017 2:33 pm

Hei, Patrick.
Tusen takk for the reply. My suspicion was this being the case. A lot of those farms have been around for quite a few centuries. It's good to have a confirmation. I'm guessing over is still pronounced differently than øver? I notice Norsk, like Engelsk, isn't 100% straightforward with pronunciation as opposed to Spanish. Norsk itself seems to be a good example; it doesn't have an 'oo' sound like I've come to expect with most Os. Despite that, Norsk is still more straightforward than Engelsk.
Josh

team.relationships
New in Town

Postby team.relationships » June 6th, 2017 8:58 am

Hi again Josh,

Yes, Øver is pronounced quite different from Over, however it is quite difficult to explain the difference in writing. The words are pronounced very straightforward though, exactly the way it looks. So, if you understand the difference between the letter Ø and the letter O in Norwegian, then you can tell the difference between Øver and Over.

Hope this was helpful, and good luck with decipheringen the rest of the intricacies of Norwegian pronounciation.

Best,

Patrick
Team NorwegianClass101.com

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Norwegian”