rask norsk hjelp

jed2748842
New in Town

rask norsk hjelp

Postby jed2748842 » May 20th, 2014 12:17 pm

Hei alt,

1. Best way to say “too slow”? (for vs. altfor) sakte/tregt/langsom
e.g.: Dessverre, min norsk er altfor sakte for business

2. The best ways to say "By the way, I forgot to tell you...
Jeg tror det er “Forresten”. “På veien” I think can only be used literally to say – by the road. Men hva er forskjellen mellom: forresten, for øvrig, ved måten, tilfeldigvis?

Ti tusen takk
J

sctld1447
New in Town

Re: rask norsk hjelp

Postby sctld1447 » May 21st, 2014 3:37 pm

Hei, J!

For the first one, "for" is "too" whereas "altfor" is "far too". I would actually phrase it slightly differently:
- Dessverre kan jeg ikke snakke norsk rask nok for å gjøre bedrift.
- Unfortunately I can't speak Norwegain quick enough to do business.

"På veien" is more like "on the road/way" than "by the road/way", so the best way to say "forresten", as you suspected. The difference between "forresten", "for øvrig", and "tilfeldigvis" is the other ways in which they're used:
forresten - by the way
for øvrig - in general
tilfeldigvis - randomly

Generally, you could use any of these to say "by the way", but each has its own connotations beased on the other usages it has.

Håper det hjelper :)

Bryce
Team NorwegianClass101.com

Get 40% OFF
jed2748842
New in Town

Postby jed2748842 » June 3rd, 2014 12:59 am

Mange takk Bryce,

En mer rask spørsmål: Is there flexible use of visst and kjent? Kan du vennligst forklare forskjellene og riktig bruk?
hadde kjent
hadde visst

Can visste sometimes be used as did/get/had instead of hadde/fikk
e.g. how many acceptable ways can you say:
visste du motta følgende?
fikk du den følgende?
hadde du motta følgende?
gjorde du motta følgende? (this one seems wrong because gjorde signifies physical action)

MVH
Jed

sctld1447
New in Town

Postby sctld1447 » June 3rd, 2014 4:14 pm

Hei igjen, Jed!

The two words you're asking about are "å kjenne" and "å vite". As you I'm sure you already know, both these verbs can be translated as "to know" in English.

We ususally use "å kjenne" when we talk about knowing who someone is, what something is, or when we have knowledge of something. There's an expression, "å kjenne igjen", which means "to recognise", which will help you remember how "å kjenne" is used.

"Å vite" is more general in its usage, and we use it when we want to express knowledge about something, understanding of something. A good way to remember this is that when something goes wrong, there's always someone who'll tell you that they knew that would happen: Jeg visste det!

The English verb "to get" has lots of different meanings, but if you're asking about the meaning "to receive", then there are only two verbs that have that meaning in Norwegian: "å få" and "å motta":
Fikk du den følgende?
Mottok du den følgende?

If we say "Har du mottatt den følgende?", then that would mean "Have you gotten the following?"

"å vite" can't be used in that way, but you may be mistaking "visste" ("knew") for other words that sound similar:
Hvis du har mottatt den følgende? - If you've received the following? (polite way of asking)
Visst har du mottatt den følgende. - Of course you've received the following.

The differences between "å kjenne" and "å vite" might be a bit difficult to grasp right now, but keep an ear and an eye out for how Norwegians use them, and start by copying them :) Eventually, you'll build up your own sense for when to use which!

Håper det hjelper - hope that helps! :)

Bryce

jed2748842
New in Town

Postby jed2748842 » July 4th, 2014 8:06 pm

Tusen takk Bryce,

Ett siste spørsmål:
The English expression, "no worries" to respond when someone apologies. What are accurate Norsk equivalents?
ingen årsak/den er grei/ingen bekymringer/ingen grunn/ingen fare come to mind but not sure if they are accurate or if you have something better
Assuming there are multiple choices, any tips on the subtle differences?

Takk
Jed

sctld1447
New in Town

Postby sctld1447 » July 5th, 2014 10:27 am

Hei, Jed!

Godt spørsmål.

I think it would be most usual to say "det går bra" or "det går greit". "ingen bekymringer" is not used; it's a very direct English translation.

Of course, everyone has their own way of speaking, so some people may favour other phrases or formulations from time to time, but if you stick to "det går bra" or "det går greit", it will sound perfectly fluent. :)

Håper det hjelper!

Bryce

jed2748842
New in Town

Postby jed2748842 » November 15th, 2017 7:01 pm

Takk Bryce!

1 mer: "etter" vs. "etter at", I can't find rule when ok to skip "at"

From what I can tell if the next word is followed a comma or is the last word, then "etter" alone is ok o/w it's supposed to be "etter at" but do most Norwegians care if one omits "at" and uses "etter" alone like we use "after" in English?

Return to “General Discussion and Help Learning Norwegian”